Thursday, March 3, 2011

So...where to from here?

This project's aim was to help Christchurch businesses recover some of their lost sales through the use of social media to drive more foot-traffic their way. I had planned to launch the event on March 1st and run it for the duration of the month.

Obviously the destructive earthquake on the 22nd of February has changed the plans somewhat.

I have purposely put off this post because I don't truly know what to say yet. I'm still in shock and devastated for the city I love. Current estimates indicate that as many as 1 in 3 buildings in the central business district will have to be completely demolished following the 6.3 magnitude aftershock from September's 7.1 quake. In layman's terms, the city is munted. But it will rise again!

Not only is the city's heart decimated but worse, unlike the September earthquake, this one proved fatal for many of our citizens. For families all around the world, there will be no recovering from this quake as they will forever be missing their loved one.

To continue to call this project 7point1squared seems not only irrelevant but also somehow disrespectful to those who lost their lives last week. This latest big quake has had a much larger impact on Canterbury and the entire country, despite its relative lesser magnitude.

Also, at this stage I'm uncertain just what I can achieve with social media alone that would have a real impact on the wider business community of Canterbury.

So where to for 7point1squared? At the very least, an indefinite postponement and a name change. I would still like to use social media to help somehow but right now, to be honest, I just don't know how, so I am open to your suggestions!

But don't write me off, like the indomitable Cantabrian spirit, 7point1squared may be down, but not out!

3 comments:

  1. I think a country-wide support / buy from Christchurch businesses campaign would have great value

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was thinking something along those lines too. This blog is doing a great job: http://www.supportchristchurchbusiness.com/
    I'm not sure if a duplicate site would be helpful really or not. Great idea Sharon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or what about a group of tech-minded tweeps who appreciate good coffee meeting to discuss ways that we can use technology to promote businesses?

    ReplyDelete